It's that time of year in Texas, when blueberries and blackberries are ripe for the pickin'! There are several pick-your-own farms in and around the Houston area (listed conveniently below). Get out there soon; it's a fun and tasty treat for the whole family to experience!
**Call before you go to ensure they are open for business for the day. All pick-your-own farms are subject to weather closures or berry availabilty**
*Tips to care for your berries once picked below the list*
Moorhead’s Blueberry Farm
- Opening day is Saturday, June 4th, and will be open on Saturdays and Sundays for the weekends to follow (Open daylight hours: 6am-8:30pm)
- Harvest season is June & July
- Cost is $2.50 per pound, Cash or check only: No Bank or Credit Cards
- 19531 Moorhead Road, Conroe, TX 77302
- Summer Farm Hours:
Mon – Sat 9:00-5:00
- $5 lb you-pick berries
- $6 lb already picked
- *$1.00 (prepaid – cash) for a berry buckets ~ (hold approx. 6 lbs)
Blackberry Picking Rules:
1. Must prepay $1.00 (cash only) for each bucket
2. NO OUTSIDE CONTAINERS ALLOWED
3. Only pick the “black” blackberries
4. Pick designated rows only
5. No picnics in the field
6. You must pay BEFORE you eat
7. No picking other produce
8. No pets/NO smoking/NO alcohol
9. Children MUST stay with their parents AT ALL TIMES
- 9963 Poole’s Road, Montgomery, Texas 77356
- (936) 597-6062
Blackberries of Houston
PICK YOUR OWN Thornless Blackberries on a Trellis! Boasts that their blackberries are larger than a quarter! In addition to their garden and Blackberries, they have beautiful grounds, including rose bushes and a pond. During this time of the year (May and June), they welcome visitors and tours, and children are welcome with parents.
- 19531 Cypress Church Rd
- Cypress, TX 77433
- 281-373-5357 for opening times and cost
Matt Family Orchard
- Has 40 acres planted with pick-your-own fruit and berries available.
- We have: 800 blueberry bushes, 6,000 thornless and thorn blackberries, 300 fig trees, 100 pear trees, 125 jujube trees, 1,100 Asian persimmon trees, and 60 citrus trees.
- All fruit is pick-your-own and sold by the pound.
- Besides the orchard, they provide year-round group orchard tours and celebrate Harvest Festival in October with pumpkin patch.
- They provide a fruit tree nursery that is appropriate for the Houston area, as well as sell local honey, preserves, jams, etc.
- There is a 2,000 square foot Pavilion with seating.
- Playground with volleyball, thetherball and playground equipment.
- 21110 Bauer Hockley Road, Tomball, Texas 77377-5767
- 281 351-7676 Fruit Hot Line
- 281 467-9758 Cell
- Right now they have three different varieties of thornless blackberries and two varieties of blueberries.
- Berries cost $3.50 per pound.
- They accept cash and credit or debit cards.
- Berry season began May 22nd!
- Hours of Operations are Wednesday to Sunday 8:00a - 7:00p
- Email: Paul@blakelocksberries.com
- 15761 FM3083, Conroe, TX 77302
- Hours of operation: 8AM - 8PM **Mon - Sat.
- Only have blueberries
- 2016 Prices: You-Pick= $2.75, Pre-Picked= $5.50
- Blueberry Jam= $5/Jar
- 2512 Pioneer Ln Cleveland, TX 77328
- Phone: 936-537-0446
Taking Care of your Berries:
- Make sure your berries do not get hot in the car on the way home after you pick your berries.
- Store them immediately in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Use berries as soon as possible, within 1-3 days
- Don't wash berries until just before using
- To freeze berries, just wash them, drain off excess water and drop them into a freezer bag or container. Use within 4-6 months. Adding sugar will preserve flavor longer.
- To keep each berry separate, spread them on a tray or cookie sheet, freeze, and put them in a container.